Sunday, May 28, 2006

Let's build a place like home

Tell a story

As I noted in the blog above, successful fund raising tells stories. DM Guru Herschell Gordon Lewis says: "Episode outpulls statistics every time." Note the lack of reference here to the number of patients LGH provides palliative care for each year. I wanted to make the campaign very personal. The main idea actually came out of my own experience walking through the ward -- you never know where inspiration will come from! This campaign helped the hospital reach its $1.5 million goal.

Dear Donor,

I was walking down the hallway in our Palliative Care Unit and heard bright laughter coming from one of our patients as she joked with her grandchildren.

I stopped to listen for a moment, not because laughter is such a rare sound around here, but because it was such a powerful reminder of what we do for our palliative care patients at Lions Gate Hospital.

Their laughter told me that we have created a safe and caring place where terminally ill people and their loved ones can share their feelings during their precious final days together.

As you read the enclosed letter from someone whose mother recently passed away here, I want you to try for a moment to think the unthinkable: What if it was somebody you know and love in one of our beds? Wouldn’t you want the most pleasant setting possible? I know what my answer would be and I think I know yours, too.

It matters very much to me – and everybody else here – that we continue to do our best in palliative care. That’s why we at the Lions Gate Hospital Foundation are dedicated to carrying out a major, $1.5 million renovation of the Palliative Care Unit.

Our theme, “Let’s Build a Place Like Home,” captures the kind of surroundings and atmosphere we want to create – a place that feels comfortable, familiar and safe, a place for closeness and laughter to flourish.

That’s why we ask you now to do all you can to help us with this important work.

Please use the enclosed donor form and return envelope to send your donation as soon as you can.

Thank you for your generosity.

….

P.S. Everybody who responds with a gift of $500 or more will have their name permanently placed on a special Donor Wall on the 7th floor, in Palliative Care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home